- This event has passed.
Leap into Literacy for Children with Hearing Loss
7 September @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$99
Literacy skills are fundamental for formal education and are crucial for success across a lifespan. Literacy learning requires a systematic well designed instructional approach, and children with hearing loss highly benefit from specific strategies to support and address their unique learning needs.
- Understand key aspects of literacy development
- Learn how hearing loss impacts on literacy development
- Learn strategies to support literacy development in children with hearing loss
- Develop activities to strengthen pre-literacy and literacy skills
- Understand implications of learning online for children with hearing loss and develop strategies for support (Telehealth)
- Two hour online interactive course suited for professionals working with young children and primary school aged students with hearing loss.
- Multiple opportunities for group discussion of key concepts, case examples and application of techniques.
- Participants will require access a computer/tablet with video and audio capabilities in order to join and interact throughout the course.
Interactive & online: Participants attend using a videoconferencing platform. A unique link to access the course will be provided to participants at the time of registration.
Course duration: 2 hours
AUD $99 incl GST
Sally Hewett, Listening and Spoken Language Therapist, BAppSc (Speech Pathology) Hon.
Sally qualified as a Speech Pathologist in 1998. She has worked exclusively with children and families in both clinical and managerial roles for over 20 years in Australia and the UK. Sally joined the Shepherd Centre in 2016 as a Listening and Spoken Language Therapist and is passionate about Auditory Verbal Therapy and a family-based, collaborative approach to early intervention. Sally enjoys helping parents to feel confident in supporting their young child’s listening, spoken language and pre-literacy development in the context of everyday family routines and play based activities.
Jen Whiteway, BLibStud, MSLP, LSLS Cert. AVT®
Jen is the Acting Manager of Internal Clinical Learning and Development at The Shepherd Centre. Jen completed a Bachelor of Liberal Studies (now Liberal Arts) at the University of Sydney, Australia, and a Masters of Speech and Language Pathology at Macquarie University, Australia. Jen is also a Certified Listening and Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS Cert. AVT®). Jen has worked for over 12 years at The Shepherd Centre, providing cochlear implant evaluation, diagnostic assessment, and therapeutic intervention services for individuals with hearing loss and their families. Jen is passionate about training and supporting other clinicians and synthesizing the latest research from the field into clinical practice. Jen has developed many training programs for professional development, mentored other professionals in the field, contributed to research projects, and presented at national conferences.
Payment and registration
Not able to make it or missed out?
If you have any questions about this course, please contact us at [email protected]
Or register your interest for the next one and we'll be in touch with dates - please note in the comments which course you are interested in