- This event has passed.
Understanding Hearing Loss – Tips and Tricks for Supporting a Child with Hearing Loss in the Classroom
9 August @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm$99
This course explores the impact of hearing loss on learning in a preschool or classroom environment and provides practical strategies to best support student learning and engagement.
- Understand degrees and types of hearing loss
- Explore the implications of hearing loss on learning and development
- Identify and address challenges to facilitate learning and optimal progress for students
- Understand the use of an FM system / Assistive Listening Device
- Learn practical classroom teaching tips for hearing aid, cochlear implant and bone conductor users.
- Two hour online interactive course for professionals working with preschool, primary and high school students with hearing loss.
- Multiple opportunities for group discussion of key concepts and practical application of strategies to support student learning.
- Participants will require access a computer/tablet with video and audio capabilities in order to join and interact throughout the course.
Interactive & online: Participants attend using a videoconferencing platform. A unique link to access the course will be provided to participants at the time of registration.
Course duration: 2 hours
AUD $99 incl GST
Kate Wilson, Audiologist, BSpHSc.MClinAud SA (CCP)
Kate is a Paediatric Audiologist and Hearing Services Coordinator at The Shepherd Centre. Kate has completed a Batchelor of Speech and Hearing Sciences and a Masters of Audiology at Macquarie University, Australia. She has extensive experience in clinical settings providing diagnostic assessments and rehabilitation services with both hearing aids and implantable devices. Kate is passionate about supporting children with hearing loss and their families as part of a multidisciplinary team through collaboration, education and technology.
Ingrid Steyns, BBHSc, MSLP, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT®
Ingrid is the Principal Manager of Clinical Learning and Development at The Shepherd Centre. Ingrid completed a Bachelor of Behavioural Health Sciences and a Masters in Speech and Language Pathology at The University of Sydney, Australia. Ingrid is a Certified Listening and Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS Cert. AVT®) and holds a Certificate of Clinical Competence as a Speech Language Pathologist. Ingrid has worked in clinical settings providing cochlear implant evaluation, diagnostic assessment and therapeutic intervention services for individuals with hearing loss and their families. Ingrid has developed international training programs, mentored professionals in the field throughout the world and has presented at numerous international conferences and workshops in the field worldwide.
Completing ”Understanding Hearing Loss: Tips and Tricks for Supporting a Child with Hearing Loss in your Class” will contribute 2 hours of Teacher Quality Institute (TQI) accredited PL addressing standard descriptors 3.4.2, 4.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teachers Accreditation.
Completing ”Understanding Hearing Loss: Tips and Tricks for Supporting a Child with Hearing Loss in your Class” can contribute 2 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Elective PD.
Payment and registration
Not able to make it or missed out?
If you have any questions about this course, please contact us at [email protected]
Or register your interest for the next one and we'll be in touch with dates - please note in the comments which course you are interested in