- This event has passed.
Engineering Executive Function for Children with Hearing Loss
18 October, 2021 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$99
Executive function is used to help us plan, learn, attend, self-regulate and manage in everyday situations. This course will explore current research and implications for intervention in regards to executive function for children with hearing loss.
- Describe Executive Function
- Discuss cognitive functions at risk in children with hearing loss
- Understand the impact of enhanced Executive Function
- Identify barriers to the development of Executive Function
- Explore activities to strengthen the development of Executive Function
- Incorporate strategies for applying techniques for online learning (Telehealth) for children with hearing loss
- Two hour online interactive course suited for professionals working with young children, primary and high school students with hearing loss.
- Multiple opportunities for group discussion of key concepts, case examples and application of techniques.
- Participants will require access a computer/tablet with video and audio capabilities in order to join and interact throughout the course.
Interactive & online: Participants attend using a videoconferencing platform. A unique link to access the course will be provided to participants at the time of registration.
Course duration: 2 hours
AUD $99 incl GST
Joanna McAdam, BA, MLSP, LSLS Cert AVT ®
Joanna is a Speech Pathologist and Certified Listening and Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS). Joanna joined the Shepherd Centre in 2007 and currently leads the 20 member LSLS team. Joanna has a number of areas of clinical interest including outcomes for children with moderate-severe hearing loss and the cognitive bases of listening. Joanna has developed a program to target the executive function skills of children with hearing loss aged 4-6 in a research project in collaboration with researchers at Macquarie University.
Ingrid Steyns, BBHSc, MSLP, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT®
Ingrid is the Principal Manager of Clinical Learning and Development at The Shepherd Centre. Ingrid completed a Bachelor of Behavioural Health Sciences and a Masters in Speech and Language Pathology at The University of Sydney, Australia. Ingrid is a Certified Listening and Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS Cert. AVT®) and holds a Certificate of Clinical Competence as a Speech Language Pathologist. Ingrid has worked in clinical settings providing cochlear implant evaluation, diagnostic assessment and therapeutic intervention services for individuals with hearing loss and their families. Ingrid has developed international training programs, mentored professionals in the field throughout the world and has presented at numerous international conferences and workshops in the field worldwide.
Completing ”Engineering Executive Function for Children with Hearing Loss” can contribute 2 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Elective PD.
Completing "Engineering Executive Function for Children with Hearing Loss" will contribute 2 hours of Teacher Quality Institute (TQI) accredited PL addressing standard descriptors 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.6.2, 2.1.2, 3.3.2, 3.5.2, 4.1.2, 6.2.2, 6.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teachers Accreditation.
Payment and registration
Not able to make it or missed out?
If you have any questions about this course, please contact us at [email protected]
Or register your interest for the next one and we'll be in touch with dates - please note in the comments which course you are interested in