- This event has passed.
Confident Kids: Enhancing Social Skills in Children with Hearing Loss
26 April @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$99
Social skills are an important part of everyday communication. They support the ability to function within society and are important for building and maintaining relationships across a lifespan. This course delves deeper into the importance of social skills for children with hearing loss, with practical strategies for enhancing these from infancy to school age.
- Describe Theory of Mind and its role in the development of social skills
- Explore the impact of hearing loss on Theory of Mind and social skills development with current research informing intervention
- Learn practical strategies to enhance social skills success
- Explore case based scenarios identifying challenges for social skills in children with hearing loss and brainstorm strategies to best support
- Two hour online interactive course suited for professionals working with young children and primary school aged students with hearing loss.
- Multiple opportunities for group discussion of key concepts, case examples and application of techniques.
- Participants will require access a computer/tablet with video and audio capabilities in order to join and interact throughout the course.
Interactive & online: Participants attend using a videoconferencing platform. A unique link to access the course will be provided to participants at the time of registration.
Course duration: 2 hours
AUD $99 incl GST
Sara Luscombe, BSW, AASW
Sara is the Regional Manager for the Wollongong / Illawarra region and is one of the Child and Family Counsellors at The Shepherd Centre. Sara completed a Bachelor of Social Work at UNSW in 1998 and has continued her professional development since this time, in certification as facilitator of parents groups and management programs. She has vast experience in working with children and families both in Australia and overseas in areas of individual/ family counselling, group work and community advocacy. Sara enjoys working alongside families, equipping caregivers with skills to help them support their child to achieve their full potential.
Ingrid Steyns, BBHSc, MSLP, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT®
Ingrid is the Principal Manager of Clinical Learning and Development at The Shepherd Centre. Ingrid completed a Bachelor of Behavioural Health Sciences and a Masters in Speech and Language Pathology at The University of Sydney, Australia. Ingrid is a Certified Listening and Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS Cert. AVT®) and holds a Certificate of Clinical Competence as a Speech Language Pathologist. Ingrid has worked in clinical settings providing cochlear implant evaluation, diagnostic assessment and therapeutic intervention services for individuals with hearing loss and their families. Ingrid has developed international training programs, mentored professionals in the field throughout the world and has presented at numerous international conferences and workshops in the field worldwide.
Completing “Confident Kids: Enhancing Social Skills in Children with Hearing Loss” can contribute 2 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Elective PD.
Completing “Confident Kids: Enhancing Social Skills in Children with Hearing Loss” will contribute 2 hours of Teacher Quality Institute (TQI) accredited PL addressing standard descriptors 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.3.2, 1.6.2, 2.1.2, 2.6.2, 3.4.2, 7.2.2, 4.1.2, 5.1.2, 5.5.2, 6.4.2, 7.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teachers Accreditation.
Payment and registration
Not able to make it or missed out?
If you have any questions about this course, please contact us at [email protected]
Or register your interest for the next one and we'll be in touch with dates - please note in the comments which course you are interested in
Not what you are looking for?
Back to menu...